Best winter movies for the snowy season

This+list+is+perfect+to+watch+surrounded+by+holiday+decorations.+
Lara Sankari
This list is perfect to watch surrounded by holiday decorations.

We all know the best part about winter is the movie nights, so here’s a list of winter movies to go along with your cozy movie and hot chocolate evenings. 

“Love Actually” (2003)

“Love Actually” is a heartfelt, feel-good romcom from the 2000s, the best era of romcoms. The movie follows multiple people and their experiences with love during the holiday season.

“It’s just so iconic and really shows what true love looks like,” said Brynn Phillips, junior.

From the prime minister of England and his assistant to a grieving father and his son, the film shows us that love can be found in so many forms.

“Love Actually” is available to stream on Netflix. (Lara Sankari)

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (2000)

I think we can all agree that Dr. Suess has once again created an iconic piece of pop culture with this story, being a film we can never forget. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is about the Grinch, a very Scrooge-like protagonist, who hates Christmas. 

The film follows the Grinch as he attempts to steal Christmas from the people of Whoville. 

“It’s such a classic [and it] feels so nostalgic to watch,” said Gianna Enriquez, junior.

“Holidate” (2020)

Although it’s a new movie, this movie is one of my personal favorites. “Holidate” follows Sloane, a girl in her twenties with a very messy life. She meets a stranger who can’t find a date for holiday parties without it being too serious, the same problem as Sloane has.

The two agree to be each other’s “holidates” for all seasonal parties with no strings attached. 

While this movie isn’t as heartwarming as “Love Actually,” it is hilarious and lighthearted, making it a good watch for movie nights.

“[‘Holidate’] is really funny, and it’s good to relax to,” said Myah Pacheco, junior.

”The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” is another all time classic directed by Tim Burton, another all time classic creator. This movie revolves around Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloweentown, as he stumbles upon the glorious Christmastown. 

In love with the spirit of the town, he hatches a plan to kidnap Santa and take over Christmastown. 

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” is an amazing blend of seasons, combining the best of each into a beautiful and heartfelt story. 

“It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946)

If you’re going to watch any movie on this list, I advise it to be this one.”It’s a Wonderful Life” is such a beautiful story about the human condition and the effects that each person has on the world. 

The film follows George Bailey, a man who’s overwhelming problems have pushed him to contemplate suicide. That is until his guardian angel comes to show him how much he’s done for those around him and how different life would be without him. This effectively alters his perception of life.

“Love Actually” and “Holidate” are available on Netflix, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is available on Hulu, “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is available on Disney+ and “It’s a Wonderful Life” is available on Sling TV