Seniors register to vote

Seniors register to vote

For those who didn't make it to the registration at school, there are still plenty of ways to register online.

Kabir Sawlani

Kabir Sawlani

Kabir Sawlani

On Wednesday, Feb. 7, voter registration took place in the Social Studies hallway. Students born before Nov. 6, 2000 are eligible to register for this election cycle, so many seniors took the opportunity to get it done at school.

Students who registered at school needed to bring two forms of official identification, including one with their address on it. A student ID and a driver’s license was sufficient.

“The process was super casual and quick,” said Sedra Khan, senior. “I showed them my license and state ID, took an oath, and then signed a slip.”

The League of Women Voters volunteered during the school day to help students register. The League fights for expanding early voting, enacting automatic and online voter registration, and more. It works to modernize voting systems and streamline the voting process.

Scott Bitautus
When students register to vote, they will be processed through the DuPage County Election Commission and sent confirmation materials via mail and email.

“Part of our mission as a school is to promote democracy and the health of our republic,” said Mr. Wilbur, social studies teacher. “Encouraging students to vote is a vital part of this mission.”

Volunteers come twice a year to hold voter registration drives. Some teachers in the school are deputy registrars and can also help students register. Additionally, there are many online resources.

This year, a 17-year-old can vote in the primary election if they are 18 years old by the following General Election.

“I support early registration for students because they can provide a voice when they are currently learning about issues in their classes,” said Mr. Rasavongxay, Social Studies Department chair, who helped oversee the event.

DuPage County residents who didn’t register in school can click here to register online. However, anyone can visit Vote.gov to register or to receive guidance. 

“Students’ voices and votes make a difference in who parties nominate as their candidates for local and national governments,” Mr. Rasavongxay said.

For more information, click here or contact Mr. Rasavongxay.

Scott Bitautas, Writer

Scott is a junior writer who loves playing basketball and tends to spend most of his day outdoors. Scott spends his summers swimming in Lake Michigan and...

Kabir Sawlani, Editor-in-Chief

Kabir Sawlani is a senior who enjoys traveling and listening to hip-hop and alternative music. When he isn't cheering for the Cubs or the Bears, you can...