The wellness house hosts the annual wellness walk

Runners+stretch+and+warm+up+for+the+race+they+were+going+to+participate+in.+The+5k+runners+and+3k+walkers+all+lined+up+at+8%3A30+a.m.+to+begin+the+race.+
Runners stretch and warm up for the race they were going to participate in. The 5k runners and 3k walkers all lined up at 8:30 a.m. to begin the race.

Michaela Malec

Michaela Malec

On Sunday, May 6, the Wellness House hosted a 3k walk and a 5k run. The goal of this event was to raise money for the Wellness House, which is a treatment center for cancer patients.

The event was located in Hinsdale and took the runners alongside County Line. The course stayed on the east side of Hinsdale, north of the tracks.  The course was relatively compact.

Michaela Malec
The race was held on Sunday, May 6 and participants had the option to do a 5k run or a 3k walk. The course was the surrounding streets around the Wellness House in Hinsdale.

“The baseball team and I went to volunteer, and it was a great experience,” said Joey Malcolm, senior. “It was a great chance for us to bond over such a great cause.”

So far, the walk has raised $584,358, the goal of the event is $600,000. Most of the money came from sponsors, such as The Inland Real Estate Group, who donated more than $100,000. The Wellness Walk had about 45 sponsors this year.  The money from this walk will be used to fund the house, as they continue to look for ways to improve their treatment.

“I volunteered at the wellness walk,” said Brian Schwab, junior. “It was great to see all the families come out to this local cause. There was very positive energy, and everybody had a good time.”

The Wellness House is located on County Line in Hinsdale, and it uses a psychosocial path to improve patients’ lives. In addition to medical treatment, the Wellness House seeks to strengthen the emotional and psychological states of the patients. It was founded in 1990 and offers treatment to patients for free.

There was a “kids zone” where children participated in face painting, crafts, a bounce slide and other activities.

“I’ve gone most years,” said Nathalie Espinoza, junior. “It’s a good way to improve myself as a runner, as well as to help the community out.” 

All participants received a T-shirt, as well as a small breakfast.

Brandon Belgrad, Writer

Brandon Belgrad, senior, is often spotted running through the streets of Hinsdale. He is a part of the cross-country and track and field teams. Along with...