District Referendum plans for renovations

The future pool plan will be located at the end of the science hall and run along the outside of the school.

Saba Ali

Saba Ali

Saba Ali

On the Nov. 6 election, residents under District 86 will have the option to vote for the district referendum for renovations which would fund projects over the span of three years at both Central and South.

The referendum specifically targets an increase in taxes for residents if the schools are renovated. The total costs of these renovations would be approximately $166 million dollars.

According to the proposal, both schools have outdated classrooms, facilities that are not accessible, and facilities in need of repair, such as the pool, which does not meet state standards for competitions. 

Molly Bruns
The current pool cannot host bigger meets as the pool deck is too small.

The referendum, if approved, will fund the upgrades to certain facilities and the constructions of new ones. The upgrades will most likely be made to the cafeteria, library, and media production centers. The funding will also go towards new student service centers, a new pool, and a new entrance in the area of the current pool doors.

“Divers have to travel for all diving meets because the pool is too shallow to dive in and, therefore, the divers can’t participate in any of the home swim meets,” said Molly Bruns, junior member of the swim team.

Bruns is a part of the Hinsdale Swim Club, which practices at the Central pool, and a member of the school’s swim team. She said that if the referendum is approved and a new pool is built, the swim team can host larger meets more often without air quality and space issues.

“The referendum is a great idea, and at some point, the district will make these renovations, but I’m not sure to what extent the community is going to want to approve this plan, especially with the new Hinsdale Middle School building being reconstructed,” said Sara Draddy, senior and student board liaison.

However, with the elimination of the buffer zone and the construction at Hinsdale Middle School, the results of the referendum might be skewed. The eliminated buffer zone has caused a lot of mixed responses and as District 181 residents’ taxes have been increased from the new HMS building, it appears the residents are less likely to vote yes to the referendum.

Saba Ali
The renovation plans are on display across the guidance office and above the lockers.

“[With the projects], there would be a massive update in safety and security issues on campus,” said Principal William Walsh.

This update would be a result of the possible reconstruction of new entrances, especially at the current pool doors.

The renovations wouldn’t take place immediately after the election but rather during the summer of 2019 as more planning would have to be conducted. However, this is all dependent on the results of the Nov. 6 election.

If you want to learn more about the possible renovations, the referendum will be discussed at the board meeting at 6 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 17 in Central’s Cafeteria.

Saba Ali, Writer

Saba, junior, is a chocolate vacuum (basically eating any chocolate in sight) and a nap queen, who can take a nap virtually anywhere. She loves Ben &...