Citizens Club honors veterans on Veterans Day

(Left to right) Heidi Angelopoulos, senior, Patrick Dugan, senior, and John Naisbitt, social studies teacher and club sponsor, watch Christopher Freiler, social studies teacher and club sponsor, give a speech about Veterans Day.
@thisishchs Instagram

On Friday, Nov. 10, Citizen Club honored local veterans with a ceremony at 7:30 a.m.

“I think our Citizen Club sponsors, Mr. Freiler and Mr. Naisbitt, did a great job putting together a commemorative ceremony for the veterans,” said Heidi Angelopoulos, senior and club member. “[The ceremony is] definitely something that I hope Hinsdale Central will continue in the future.” 

The ceremony began with a performance of the “National Anthem” by Anya Raman, senior. It was followed by a speech by Christopher Freiler, social studies teacher and club sponsor, and a reading of the “Gettysburg Address” by Angelopoulos and Patrick Dugan, senior and club member. The event was closed with a speech from John Naisbitt, social studies teacher and club sponsor.

“I think the Veterans Day ceremony went great,” Naisbitt said. “Hopefully we continue this memorable tradition every year.

According to the Hinsdale Central website, Citizen Club was formed following the 9/11 tragedy. The club meets weekly to discuss domestic and international affairs and sponsor fundraisers to support various causes.

“I hope we continue this tradition of honoring our veterans every year,” Freiler said.

Students watch on as Christopher Freiler, social studies teacher and club sponsor, gives a speech honoring veterans. (@thisishchs Instagram)

Citizen Club meets before school on Tuesdays and Fridays to discuss the modern political environment.