Block scheduling is better for hard-working students

The school's current schedule uses a traditional format, where students attend the same set of classes every day at the same time.

Hannah Anderson

Hannah Anderson

Hannah Anderson

As a middle schooler, I was given two full days to do my homework, which was convenient and allowed me to manage my time. Of course, my homework only entailed completing a worksheet and maybe studying for a little quiz (but nobody ever did). Now, on a given night, we may have essays, tests, pages and pages of busy work, but we only get one night to finish it all.

If the school switched to a block schedule, students would be alleviated from much of their stress. Block schedules give students half of their classes per day, and they alternate those classes every other day.

A block schedule would be better for students because our school is notorious for being a difficult and competitive and having more time for homework and studying would be very beneficial.

With half the classes per day, students can focus more on individual subject matters. Every once in awhile, students have tests and quizzes in many of their classes on the same day. A shorter daily schedule can eliminate this issue. Teachers may even be able to allow more time to complete tests, avoiding the dreaded unfinished test.

Courtesy of Saint Ignatius College Prep
Saint Ignatius, a private school in downtown Chicago, is known for its “WOLFPACK” block scheduling. Although their classes are the same length as Central’s, rotating the classes allows students more time to prepare for different subjects.

This change wouldn’t only benefit students. With longer classes, teachers would no longer face the issue of running late or having things to finish the next day. Finishing the full lessons can keep the students organized.

Additionally, with block scheduling, if students must miss a day of school, they will only be behind in half of their classes. They also can go visit their teachers for the classes that they did miss to retrieve work from the day before, given the extra day.

The block schedule system does have downfalls. With longer classes, students would be more likely to lose interest and stop paying attention. Also, each homework assignment will most likely be a bit longer because, in theory, it would be two days worth. However, the longer period will lead to more in-class time to do homework.

Block schedules overall help will the organization of students. Many people from my middle school preferred this style to Central’s traditional scheduling. At that time, I had very little to work on, so if there were any time to have this type of schedule, it would be high school.

Lauren Wols, Writer

Lauren Wols is a junior who probably has a friend crush on you. If she’s not writing for Devils’ Advocate, she may be choreographing or doing other...