• December 20Congratulations to our Pet Photo Contest Winners: 1st Place-Kendall Butler, 2nd Place-Ainsley Wallace, 3rd Place-Thomas King & Sophia Garza

• December 5Follow us on Instagram and Twitter! @hcdevilsadvo

XXXTENTACION: Does he deserve to be remembered?

Born Jahseh Onfroy, XXXTENTACION had a short but chart topping rap career.

Courtesy of @xxxtentacion

Amidst the release of Skins, the posthumous album from the late XXXTENTACION, debates about the rapper’s legacy have been sparked on social media and around the school.

XXXTENTACION was murdered on June 21, after an armed robbery took a fatal turn. He died shortly after in his car.

The controversy surrounding “X” is based on his violent and arrest-filled past. The most notable event being his 2016 domestic abuse arrest when he was accused of aggravated battery of a pregnant woman. The allegations say that he held his girlfriend captive in his apartment, and he tortured and beat her. The victim and the rapper’s ex-girlfriend, Geneva Ayala, said that after he complimented his friend on his jewelry, X slapped her across her face and slammed her phone on the ground. Geneva alleged that he punched her, head-butted her, stomped on her, held her head under running water in a bathtub, and threatened to kill her. Once she became pregnant with his child, the abuse did not stop.

Courtesy of Complex
“Skins”, the first posthumous album from XXXTENTACION was released on Dec. 8.

There was an ongoing trial for this case, but the charges were officially dropped due to his death.

This is not the only case of violence in his life though, as there are claims that X also beat a man for allegedly “looking at him”. Although he did not admit to the reason why he did it, he’s bragged about it in interviews saying that “I was going crazy. Like, I smear his blood on my face, in my hands, I got it in my nails, bro, I had it all over me.” In a recent tape released by Pitchfork, he admits to stabbing nine people during an altercation in Florida.

“Personally, I don’t believe he is guilty in the domestic abuse case, but I do think that he was a violent person,” said Kosta Kinnas, senior. “I also believe in the separation of art and the artist. We do it all the time. Look at John Lennon for example. He made amazing music, but it is a fact that he beat his wife and kid.”

Before his death, streaming services such as Spotify took a stand against him, and banned his music from their official playlists, but after his death, they made him the face of their “Rap Caviar” playlist.

“Whether you like him or not, he is everywhere. My favorite song by him is ‘Falling Down’, which is a collaboration with Lil Peep, another rapper who tragically passed away,” said Julia Krasuski, senior.

His death created a separation in the rap community, some shaming him for his past, while others recognizing his musical importance.

“I believe that X’s legacy should be viewed positively due to the fact that he was never convicted of the allegations brought forth by his girlfriend,” said Joe Paulson, senior. “He was never found guilty, so people should focus not on his allegations, but on his music. He had a unique style of music and he connected with millions of people.”

It is clear that the rapper has a twisted past, but only time will tell how he will be remembered. His music reached the ear of millions, and his name will live on.

Brandon Belgrad, Writer

Brandon Belgrad, senior, is often spotted running through the streets of Hinsdale. He is a part of the cross-country and track and field teams. Along with...

1 Comment

One Response to “XXXTENTACION: Does he deserve to be remembered?”

1. kassidi on January 16th, 2019 1:14 pm

X does deserve to be remembered as who he was and not what people put him out to be.Of course when he started out he was in the ‘wild and young’ mindset but as he got more popular he came more mature.He realized his mistakes and he was teaching others how to do so too.He should not only be remembered for his music, he should be remembered as the inspiring person he was.Everyone makes mistakes because we are human, so why should he be shammed.

*

• XXXTENTACION: Does he deserve to be remembered?

Opinion

Why small classes matter

Opinion

Snow day forces calendar changes

Opinion

We must heed climate change predictions

Opinion

Acosta press pass returned but the threat to journalism continues

Gallery

Gallery: 5 fun things to do in the Fall

Review of the 2018 football season

Opinion

Start of flu season calls for flu shots

Commentary

Poll shows where students land on upcoming elections

Opinion

Students should head to polls

Opinion

Harvard sued for discriminating against Asian applicants