Festival season is just around the corner

Lollapalooza, arguably the most popular music festival for Central students, will release their lineup in late March.

Sanya Sawlani

Sanya Sawlani

Sanya Sawlani

As temperatures rise and festival season inches closer, spring and summer music festival lineups are being released to the public. It’s time to start making plans for these weekends of summer fun, but our pockets are only so deep. It’s impossible to experience every festival around Chicago, however Devils’ Advocate is here to help with a guide to upcoming festivals to help decide which ones to hit.

Chicago Blues Festival

• June 9 – 11
  • Millennium Park

The Chicago Blues Festival is the largest free blues festival in the world. Every year the lineup is packed with blues legends, local club circuit artists and up and coming blues musicians from all walks of life playing every style of blues. This year the lineup features young Texas blues guitarist Gary Clark Jr. as a headliner. The festival features a great selection of local food vendors and booths from numerous different organizations and charities.

Spring Awakening Music Festival

• June 9 – 11
  • Addams/Medill Park

Chicago’s premier electronic dance music festival where thousands of teens and 20-somethings gather here every year for a colossal dance party. If you love neon clothing this is definitely the festival for you. This year the lineup features dance music titans Diplo, Armin Van Buuren, Axwell ^ Ingrosso, Marshmello and Galantis.

Country LakeShake

• June 23 – 25
  • Huntington Bank Pavilion, Northerly Island

Don’t want to make the trek up to Country Thunder in Wisconsin? No worries, you can get your fix of Nashville right here in Chicago at Country Lakeshake (hat and cowboy boots are not required, but advised). This year’s lineup includes Thomas Rhett, Miranda Lambert and Rascal Flatts.

Will you be here when Miranda Lambert hits the stage on June 24th? 3-day & single day passes are available now!

A post shared by Country LakeShake Festival (@lakeshakefest) on

Pitchfork Music Festival

• July 14 – 16
  • Union Park

If you’re ready to brave the July heat, Pitchfork is a great mid-sized festival right in Chicago. Pitchfork offers anything and everything of indie, underground, and hip hop. If it’s not mainstream enough for Lollapalooza, you’ll probably find it at Pitchfork. Prepare to witness plenty of “creative” fashion statements should you chose to attend, Pitchfork likes to keep it weird.

Lollapaloooza

• August 3 – 6
  • Grant Park

Trying out the four day festival formula for the 2nd year in a row, Lollapalooza is back and the lineup is sure to be packed. Ever dream of a gigantic party in the park with every high schooler from Chicago and the suburbs and any popular band you could think of? Consider your wish granted. The lineup has yet to be released at this time, but expectations are high as ever. With a nice lake breeze and a spectacular view of the Chicago skyline, the atmosphere of Lollapalooza is rivaled by few festivals. If expansive, tightly packed crowds make you uncomfortable then Lollapalooza is certainly not the festival for you. Additionally, this festival takes place in the hottest days of Chicago summer which can be unsafe without proper hydration and clothing.

Chicago Open Air

• July 14 – 16
  • Toyota Park, Bridgeview

Only a 20 minute drive from Central, Toyota Park once again hosts Chicago’s largest heavy metal and modern rock festival. This year the lineup features hard rock/metal legends KISS, Ozzy Osbourne, and Korn. Hate the long hours of walking around at most festivals? Have no fear, this festival is very compact with plenty of food vendors just steps outside the stadium.

Emmett Grundberg, Writer

When he's not chasing the headiest Phish jams, he's probably at Toyota Park watching the Chicago Fire find new and creative ways to lose soccer games....

Sanya Sawlani, Editor-in-Chief

Sanya Sawlani, senior, is a pro procrastinator and avid daydreamer. She can usually be found listening to the 1975 and eating peanut butter chocolate ice...