The best snow day activities to pass the time

With the imminent snow days in the future, students can take their time to enjoy their day at home.
Lara Sankari

After the recent influx of snow and cold days, many are unsure of what to do with all of their free time at home. Here are a few activities to get you through those chilly days.

Build a Snowman

Sometimes, you just need a break from your responsibilities and need to do the things you did as a kid. Building a snowman is one of the most nostalgic and fun activities to do to fulfill this need, especially when you do it with your friends and family.

“I feel like building a snowman is something you should do at least once a year,” said Gianna Enriquez, junior. “It just makes the school year fun.”

When coupled with a warm cup of hot chocolate, building a snowman is a great way to spend your snow day.

Baking

For the days that are too chilly to go outside, baking is a classic and cozy winter activity. Even if you don’t have the ingredients for the traditional winter treats such as cookies, you can bake smaller treats that will last you the day.

“Baking is already something that I love to do,” said Logan O’Connor, junior. “When we have days off, that’s my go to activity to pass time.”

Finding indoor activities to cozy up with during snow days is a perfect way to pass the time. (Lara Sankari)

Coloring/Drawing

Coloring or drawing is a perfect activity if you want to cozy up on the couch with a cup of tea. If you’re not super artistic, you can always find a random coloring book to draw in.

“Even though I’m not that good at it, I really love drawing in my free time since [it] feels super calming,” said Alice Quaranta, junior.

The act itself is very therapeutic in nature, making it the perfect activity to take a break from school related stress.

Go Sledding

Again, sometimes you just need to tap back into your childhood and play with nostalgia. Sledding on a snow day is another perfect way to do just that.

“One of my favorite memories when I was younger was going sledding on snow days,” said Brynn Phillips, junior.

Whether with your friends or family, sledding is a great way to enjoy the freshly fallen snow on the ground on a day off.

Reading

Almost everyone has a book that they have been meaning to read, whether you bought it last summer or at a cool bookstore. Since it’s such a busy time of year with being at the start of a new semester, it might be hard to keep up with reading. A snow day is the perfect occasion to change that.

“I like to read a lot, so I’m really happy to be able to catch up on some new books on our days off,” said Lynn Hajdarwish, junior.

To see when another snow day may pop up, check out the Devils’ Advocate weather tracker.