Varsity girls lacrosse: the road to success

Logan O’Connor
The varsity girls lacrosse team and Matt McNiff, varsity girls lacrosse coach, line up in preparation for a game.

The Hinsdale Central varsity girls lacrosse team has consistently held their own over the past few years. Specifically, they’ve had a relatively strong history of finalizing for state. The most recent state championship was in 2018. 

In the 2022-2023 season, the girls team placed second in state behind Loyola Academy. Although they lost the state title, coming in second had not been an easy feat. The season included hard work and grit as the team made its way to the state game. However, according to some, the team has not had the same opportunities to practice their skills against highly-competitive teams. 

Loyola, along with many other teams in the state, spend their spring break preparing for the state competition by entering in tournaments. 

“[The team is] playing teams that are better than they are [at the State Finals level of the IHSA tournament],” said Matt McNiff, varsity girls lacrosse coach. “They’re losing [at the State Finals level], but they’re also learning how to overcome adversity as a team.”

Overcoming losses shows in the team’s final four record in the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), as it has appeared in the final four for the last five years that lacrosse has been an IHSA sport.

However, unlike Central, Loyola is able to recruit kids from all across the state.

“We were playing a team that simply went through more of a grind than us,” McNiff said. 

Red Devil players have team practice almost every morning, improving both their strength and their skills on the field.

“Stuff like that wakes you up and teaches you…[that]…we’re not invincible, we’ve got things to do differently,” McNiff said.

The plan for this season is to focus on enhancing their strengths as a team, working to form a well-rounded group.

“Our speed, athleticism and camaraderie are our biggest strengths,” said Logan O’Connor, junior and midfielder. “But, I think the biggest thing we need to overcome is having confidence in ourselves and our ability to play.”

The team is not opposed to change either. For the first time, the team has four captains, allowing for more unity and communication.

As well, they’re continuing to practice and promote team bonding as they find that when the team is connected and happy, it’s reflected on the field. 

The team celebrates their newest players. (Logan O’Connor)

“We do pasta parties before almost every game just to get the spirit and team cohesion up before a game,” said Ella Parker-Briones, junior and varsity player.

To learn more about the team, click here.

View Comments (1)