Boys varsity lacrosse loses a close fight to Marist


Boys varisty lacrosse shakes hand with Marist after this tough game. (SmugMug)

On Friday, May 12, the boys varsity lacrosse team lost a hard-fought game against Marist High School at 7 p.m. on a rainy night on Dickinson Field, with a final score of 9-8.

In lacrosse, there are three positions: attack, who scores the goals; defense, who protects the team goal; and midfield, who combines the roles of attack and defense, requiring a great deal of running up and down the field. For more information on the boy’s lacrosse rules, click here

“Before the game, it’s all I can think about during school, ” said Brady Pollard, senior and varsity lacrosse player. “All day my leg is bouncing in class or I’m watching the scout film just anticipating game time.”

The starting lineup was announced before the game started: Tommy Webster, Mason Brady, Brady Pollard, Chase Collignon, Bart Buscellion, Rocco Salvi, Reagan Walsh, Dean Assicorato, Tommy Willett, and Daniel Backus in goal. 

Daniel Backus after one of his many saves in goal. (SmugMug)

The Redhawks came in strong scoring twice in the first quarter. The Devils set up a tough defense. Daniel Backus had a number of great saves protecting the Redhawks from scoring anymore. The first quarter ended 2-0.

The Red Devils put up a good fight in the second quarter and started to make a comeback. The score was bouncing back and forth between the two teams. Marist scored, then Hinsdale, Marist again, and Hinsdale with two more after. Reagan Walsh (freshman), Finn Cain (sophomore), and Tommy Webster (senior) each had one of the three goals for the quarter. The score at halftime was 4-3 with Marist still in the lead.

“During the game you just feel so alive whether you’re on the field or on the sidelines,” Pollard said.  “The energy and support from your team, coaches, and the few fans that come out is just electric.”

The third and fourth quarters were intense. It was unclear who was going to come out with the win. Webster scored two more goals. Cain scored another. Owen Joyce (freshman) and Josh Randell (junior) scored their first goals of the game during the second half. Both teams were fighting for it.

The game went into overtime when the Devils and Redhawks were tied 8-8 at the end of fourth quarter. The Redhawks scored in overtime and beat the Devils 9-8.

“It was so close at the end, ” said Francie Schmelka, senior. “It really could’ve gone either way.”

There is still a lot to come for the boys red devil lacrosse team. With two more games left in the regular season, they are getting ready to begin playoffs. 

“Our team goal is to win a state championship and bring home our first ever boys lacrosse state title,” said Adam Baridi, senior and varsity lacrosse player.

Come see the boys play their next game against Lyons Township High School on Tuesday, May 16 at 7 p.m. on Dickinson Field. To view the team’s full schedule, click here.