• December 20Congratulations to our Pet Photo Contest Winners: 1st Place-Kendall Butler, 2nd Place-Ainsley Wallace, 3rd Place-Thomas King & Sophia Garza

• December 5Follow us on Instagram and Twitter! @hcdevilsadvo

Students walk out to support referendum

Students walk out to support referendum

On Monday, April 1, students organized a walkout to promote people to vote yes for the D86 referendum.

Marelena Halikias

Marelena Halikias

Marelena Halikias

On Monday, April 1, from 9:30 to 9:50 am, students at both Central and South walked out to show their support for passing the $140 million referendum. If the referendum vote passes, the funding will be spent to restore programs and undertake major improvements at Central and Hinsdale South high school.

¨I think the walkout made a great and positive impact,” said Maia Halle, junior.

Marelena Halikias
Students brought posters and shouted chants to raise awareness about the importance of the vote to the school.

If passed, money from the referendum would be used to replace the decades-old pools at both schools, for a combined cost of $24.3 million, renovate both cafeterias for $7.9 million, spend more than $11 million for security, safety, and accessibility upgrades, upgrade various technologies, and more.

Students who walked out wanted to raise concern over saving their schools. The organizers of the walkout aimed to bring publicity for the vote through the political action.

¨The main idea of the referendum was to remind the community right before the walkout that in the end, it is about the kids, not taxes and neighbors against neighbors,” said the owner of the Instagram account @studentsford86, a sophomore at Central who chose to stay anonymous. “The media coverage of that was also important in order to spread the word on how many students felt strongly enough about it to walk out of their classes.”

Many students supported the referendum by participating in the walkout because if not passed, numerous school sports, clubs, and other activities will be cut.

¨Ever since I was young I knew that performing arts was my passion,¨ said Charlie Cave, junior. ¨High school is supposed to be a time that prepares you for college and your future. If the referendum fails, the music and drama departments will face serious repercussions. We’ll go from five shows a year to two. The drama club itself will be cut. The choir accompanist will be fired. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Without these, I fear how my future will be affected.¨

Lana Jawich, Writer

Lana Jawich is a junior writer for Devils' Advocate who enjoys painting and playing soccer. When she’s not annoying her siblings or spacing out in physics,...

Marelena Halikias, Photographer

Marelena Halikias is a senior photographer for Devils' Advocate. She can commonly be found crying over reruns of The Joy of Painting, offering to sell...