Students celebrate March Madness

Tobi Oranu
Jack Copeland watches one of the March Madness games on his phone.

Throughout the week of March 18, Hinsdale Central celebrated March Madness through various methods such as tournament challenges, watching the games in the cafeteria and hosting a March Madness themed food drive.  

March Madness started in 1939 with eight teams, and it expanded to 68 teams in 2011. Many fans love the experience of March Madness because they get to watch Cinderella stories, when a lower seeded team makes a deep run, in real life.

“I had Illinois winning it all because I like Illinois and it’s one of my choices of colleges to go to,” said Andrius Marchertas, junior.

The March Madness website where students can view and create their brackets. (Jack Copeland)

To celebrate the tournament, Hinsdale Central made a bracket challenge with the winner getting donuts or pizza sent to their lunch table.

“I got Arizona winning it because I feel like they got one of the best teams in the tournament,” said Jack Carlin, junior.

In the commons and the cafeteria, they set up televisions to watch the games.

“I picked Tennessee to win because they got one of the best scorers [with] Dalton Knect,” said Joao Lourenco, junior. “He will carry them to the championship.”

Hinsdale Central also has a March Madness food drive where students can donate food to help their class win.

To learn more about the tournament, click here.