“Bring Your Fire”

Sam Wheeler
Students showcase the new and old “slogans” on their shirts at the Homecoming pep rally.

For the 2023-24 school year, Hinsdale Central decided to change their “slogan” for a better description of being a red devil. 

When Dan Jones, former Athletic Director at Hinsdale Central, was hired he started a saying, #GRIT, primarily for the athletes. This was used as a saying to motivate athletes to continue persevering through hardship. The saying #GRIT wasn’t only used for athletes, as time passed it was more common seeing this saying on t-shirts and even banners for football games. Even non-athletes would be saying #GRIT when cheering for the school. 

“You know, we’re much more than just athletics, like academics and everything else. So we had to get all voices.” said Assistant Principal for Operations, Ryan Maita. 

Hinsdale Central didn’t have a “slogan” before. #GRIT was just the most common thing students and teachers would say when talking about being a red devil. School administrators felt like the students had lost the sense of what it meant to be a red devil. That is what truly kicked off the project of “Bring Your Fire.” This project was meant to unify all the students again after feeling like the togetherness had been lost.

As a red devil, “Bring Your Fire” resonates with many of the students.

“So that bring your fire to me, a lot of it is passion and bringing your best in everything you do,” said Leena Abu-Ghazalah, senior and class of 2024 Senator. 

Many on the student council thought that picking “Bring Your Fire” would help Hinsdale Central feel more connected. “Bring Your Fire” was introduced to all students on August 21 when school started. Many were unaware of this change and were taken back when their new lanyards said “Bring Your Fire.”

Some students were confused with the new “slogan” and others were pleasantly surprised. 

“I remember on the first day of school when we all got our lanyards in class, and there was such a mixed response. I personally liked them because it was something new and different,” said Vanessa Jovanoivc, junior.

As time went on there has been a more positive response to the new “slogan.” More students talk about “Bring Your Fire” when talking about things like football games, or even when talking about taking a test. 

Although “Bring Your Fire” is the focus for years to come, #GRIT has not disappeared yet. It will continue to be used for athletes as motivation, but is not referred to as the school “slogan”. It unifies the athletes but doesn’t unify or relate to all Hinsdale Central students. 

“Bring Your Fire” was brought in to unite all students, especially after the pandemic when students lost their school spirit. Many students didn’t know how to interact with each other but also were unaware of how to be a red devil. The school felt like there needed to be a change to help the students regain their spirits. School spirit is an essential component of every student’s high school experience, to help create a more enjoyable and fun environment. This new saying will help to really ignite that fire inside every red devil.