Central falls to Lions 57-52

SmugMug
Vince Buzelis, junior and varsity player, attempting a layup.

On Saturday, Feb. 10, the Red Devils and the Lyons Township Lions faced off against each other in a rivalry game at Lyons Township. The Lions won 57-52 over the Red Devils. 

Despite the loss, the Red Devils’ coaches still helped the players perform to the best of their abilities. 

“The top thing about our coaches at Hinsdale Central is how they push us to become our best selves,” said Bobby Deftos, senior and varsity player. “They believe in our capabilities, and they push us to be the best player we can be.”

Many players on the team have been playing basketball for years prior, preparing them for the high school format.

“I’ve been playing ever since I could remember,” said Vince Buzelis, junior and varsity player.

Daniel Orozco, senior and varsity player, fighting against the Lions’ defense. (SmugMug)

The IHSA Playoffs start on Wednesday, Feb. 21 where the Red Devils will take on the Simeon Tigers at home. 

“I’m excited for the playoffs because the stakes are high,” said Alex Nield, junior and varsity player. 

On Tuesday, Feb. 13, the Red Devils will play at home against the Glenbard West Hilltoppers.

For more information about the team, please contact Mike Jezioro, the athletic director, at [email protected] or Nick Latorre, varsity coach, at [email protected].