Central’s wrestling falls to York 57-14

Joao Lorenco, junior and varsity wrestler, shaking hands with his opponent from York.
Tobi Oranu

On Friday, Dec. 1, the Hinsdale Central Red Devils had an away meet and wrestled the York Dukes at 7 p.m. The varsity team lost to York 57-14.

“I’m kind of nervous for my first varsity match,” said Joao Lourenco, junior and varsity wrestler. “But, if I stick to my technique, I should help the team.”

The winners of their matches were Sammy Murante, sophomore, with a pin, Zach Kruse, junior, with a minor victory and Marko Ivanisevic, senior, with a technical fall. 

Zach Kruse, junior and varsity wrestler, giving his teammates a high five. (Tobi Oranu)

“I love the atmosphere of varsity wrestling matches because the crowd is so into the match,” said Nathan Wietecha, junior and junior varsity wrestler. “I love cheering for my varsity teammates.”

The team’s next meet is on Thursday, Dec. 7 at 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. at home against Downers Grove North. On Saturday, Dec. 9, the team will go to Lyons Township High School for their mega duels.

“If we work on our [mindset] and work hard, we will be a good wrestling team,” said Aiden Galeckas, senior and junior varsity wrestler.

For more information, you can contact Jason Hayes, coach, at [email protected].