Golden Globes: home of deteriorating fashion

Yusra Shakaib
Students comment on the unique looks that walked the carpet at the Golden Globes Awards.

On Sunday, Jan. 7, the 81st Golden Globe Awards were hosted at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. The red carpet featured celebrities such as Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez and Cillian Murphy. 

The attendees had many different styled outfits from suits to formal gowns. However, there were many outfits and style choices I felt were unique and imitated Homecoming dresses. 

Elizabeth Olsen 

I thought Olsen’s makeup and hair looked great, however, I didn’t really like the fishnet look at the bottom of her gown.

“I don’t really like it,” said Maryam Gazi, junior. “I also felt like the white color washed out her skin tone.”

As well, I didn’t really like the train with her dress. However, the corset top was a nice way to include that new trend.

Emily Blunt 

Emily Blunt shows off dress designed by Sarah Burtin. (Yusra Shakaib)

I loved Blunt in “Oppenheimer,” and the movie was extremely successful at the event; however, her dress gave me bad vibes. I liked the top part because it was embroidered and had a lot of sparkle and jewels on it. My main issue was with the bottom skirt because the tulle made it look cheap. 

“It looks very cheap and [the jewelry] clashed,” said McKenzie Ford, senior.

As for her Tiffany & Co. jewelry, something more subtle would’ve been better. In my opinion, the necklace just clashed with her dress.

Florence Pugh 

Florence Pugh in her red dress designed by Valentino. (Yusra Shakaib)

In the past, I’ve liked Pugh’s style in “Don’t Worry Darling” and “Black Widow.” However, after she cut her hair last year, I stopped liking her style as much.

“The V-neck dress was not flattering and her hair didn’t look nice at all,” said Jack Doehring, junior. 

Especially at this red carpet, she looked a lot like P!nk with her haircut and nose ring. Also, I didn’t like the inner shorts she was wearing. I think if the skirt was lined, it would have looked better.

Timothée Chalamet

Timothée Chalamet poses on the red carpet without Kylie Jenner, his date. (Yusra Shakaib)

In general, it’s nice to see men try something other than a basic black and white suit. However, I didn’t really like the print that was on Chalamet’s jacket as they were sequined. 

“I feel like he looked like a Victorian child,” Doehring said. 

I feel like he could’ve gone with something better, but it’s an “A” for effort especially with the watch and necklace. 

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez shows off her red satin gown from Armani Privé. (Yusra Shakaib)

I really liked the top of Gomez’s dress and how she had her hair up so it didn’t clash with the dress at all.

“The skirt style is not nice as well as the top being tight like that,” Doehring said.

As well, the color was also really nice on her skin tone. However, I feel like the bottom skirt should’ve just been a full skirt instead of the misshapen skirt. 

Overall, the style I really hated was the deconstructed look designers do with modern dresses. Hopefully for the Oscars, attendees will step up their game and make their outfits more formal.