Rating the 2024 Grammy outfits

Finley Bisch
Student views Grammy outfits after the televised event aired on Saturday, Feb. 4.

The new year has come and gone and dreary winter months are beginning to feel like they are dragging forever. We must remember though, it is finally awards season! This means: top artists being snubbed for no reason, subpar and sometimes terrible hosts (looking at you, Jo Koy), awkward and iconic moments, and opinions, opinions, opinions. I, for one, have many of those.  

Today, I will be sharing with you my opinions on what everyone wore to the Grammy Awards, which were held on Saturday, Feb. 4. After scrolling aimlessly online, these were the 15 outfits that caught my attention and the ones that I have a strong opinion on. So, without further ado, here is my review of fashion at the 2024 Grammy Awards. 

Please note that all of these are my opinions. I am writing this in sweatpants and a baggy sweatshirt. I am not a reliable source for any fashion tips of any kind.

Ellie Goulding

I like this one, she looks so good in it. It isn’t really giving “Grammys” but I’m not entirely sure what else it could be giving. It’s just not as classy as these awards shows used to be. Maybe I just have to wait for the Met Gala. I give this a 7/10.

Summer Walker

Say what you want, she killed this. Do I feel like the hat was unnecessary? Yes. Do I care? No. The dress fits her so well and it’s different from things that I’ve seen before. Once again, it’s not the classiest but I think that it kind of works in this case. I rate this an 8/10.

Ice Spice

An all denim number from ice spice was somewhat controversial, but I liked it. My sentiment was shared by  Amelia Sowers, senior.

It’s a creative take, something different. I think I like it,” Sowers said. With the resurgence of ’90s trends, I’m surprised we didn’t see more of this this year. I give this a 10/10.

Lauren Daigle

No, just no. I think that my father, who isn’t artistically inclined in the slightest, could design a better Grammys outfit than this. I can see the idea but the shoes, hat, hair and bracelets really just ruined it for me (you should move on, I’ve found that it gets worse the more you look at it). “I don’t like the hat, I think that it’s confusing,” said Naomi Cook, senior. I concur. I rate this a 3/10.

Eryn Allen Kane

I don’t love this. I wanted to love it but there were some things I couldn’t get past. The shape is mushroom-esque and I hate the high-low hemline. The jewels on the top are pretty but the pink or red dye needs to go away, it looks like she accidentally spilled kool-aid in the car on the way there. Love the shoes though. I give this a 6/10.

Ed Sheeran

Obligatory mention of Ed because look at him. He killed this. I don’t know why he looks like he was caught off guard when taking this picture but I’m here for it. Even though I don’t love the fact that he’s not wearing a jacket (haha, camo joke), he looks great. “It doesn’t look like it’s tailored correctly,” said Alex Zak, senior. I can see that. For poor tailoring, a 9/10.

Laufey

She’s cute! The dress is simple but it is giving what it needs to give. It is 1950s meets modern day and I think that is so cute. Even though you can’t see it in this picture, I love, love, love the open back. Shoes may have ruined it for me but I can’t be sure. “It’s too simple,” Cook said. While I can see this, I think it fits her vibe. Bonus points for posing with her award. I rate this a 10/10.

Billie Eilish

Okay, I have thoughts. Go Billie, dress however you would like and in what makes you comfortable, I get it. BUT…this is an awards show. Not everyone gets an invite and the people that do are the top of the top. Can we just try to dress it up a little? This could be harsh, but it looks like the outfit that I put on when I go to take the trash out. I give this a 5/10

Ludwig Göransson

Okay, yes. The thing that I am loving about 2024 awards shows is the fact that men are no longer showing up in black suits and nothing else. This is fun, this is fresh, this is giving retro ’70s and I’m here for it. Not everyone agrees though. “There’s too many stripes, and I like darker colors better,” Zak said. I partially agree, but I also really like this. Still a 10/10.

Kaitlen Howard

While this is kind of giving me wedding vibes, I think that it is gorgeous. It is classy with a little flair and I am so here for it. The shape is beautiful and I think she looks stunning, her makeup is also everything. I rate this a 10/10.

Kelly Clarkson

Nope. Snooze. She looks stunning, but she could have done so much more. The neckline is something, but it’s not enough. Even just a line of jewels along the top of the neckline would make it interesting. Go girl, give us nothing. I give this a 7/10.

Thomas Andés

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I love an elevated suit. Now. My problem with this one is that it is flesh colored. Once my mom pointed that out, I couldn’t not see it. I love the suit, hate the color. I rate this a 6/10.

Lana Del Rey

She looks SO good. The silhouette is to die for and I love the way that she’s done her hair and the shoes. I’m obsessed with the length of the skirt, it is kind of like the 1950s vibes that Laufey was bringing. “I kind of like this but she needs a haircut,” said Victoria Elsdon, junior. I disagree. I give this a 9/10.

Janelle Monáe

I love this. She looks so good, dare I say best dressed? “She ate,” Elsdon said. I think that this is the understatement of the century. The material, the flower, the neckline, everything is stunning. And the accessories. It is the perfect touch to a perfect outfit. I rate this an 11/10.

Maluma

This is so good. This is a perfect take on a classic black suit. It is elevated and classy with the white shoes and the chain, but it’s still back to basics with everything else. I give this an 8/10.